Looking for a Management Accountant to join our team
Management Accountant – Bristol & Bath Regional Capital
Where: Central Bristol, minimum 2 days / week in the office
Role: Management accounting, budget management, investor reporting
Reporting to: Finance Director
Type of role: Permanent, full time
Salary: £40,000 – 50,000
Bristol & Bath Regional Capital (BBRC), a leader in impact investment and asset management, is embarking on an exciting stage in its development. Having created and advised on our first place-based impact investment fund City Funds which has received national recognition, and been recognised by the NatWest SE100 index as one of the top 100 social enterprises nationally for the last three consecutive years, we have an ambitious plan to deliver long-term impact in the South West of England. We are now in the process of launching two new investment funds; to manage this, we expect to more than double the size of our team in the next twelve months.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Management Accountant to support our operations as we start our next phase of growth. Reporting to the Finance Director, this is a Group role, and so you’ll be responsible for reviewing the management accounts for our parent company and five subsidiaries, producing cash flow forecasts, and producing our investor reports.
This is a unique position where you’ll get to play a part in a scale-up business with impact at its heart. You will be involved across a breadth of finance areas, from budgeting and forecasting to investor reporting, and from monitoring compliance to writing finance policies. It’s a hands-on role and you’ll need to be keen to learn and adapt as the business grows.
We outsource our bookkeeping, and you will be their key point of contact. You’ll take on the management of our purchase and debtor legers, as well as our loan book; although part of our finance and operations team, you’ll work closely with the investment teams too and gain exposure to their work.
You’ll be a qualified accountant with at least two years of working in industry – ideally with a financial services company, but experience in any service-sector company (e.g. professional services or technology) is acceptable. Strong commercial acumen is very important for this role, as you will be responsible for ensuring that the Finance Director is kept informed of any matters that need her attention. Naturally, you’ll have excellent analytical skills; you’ll also be good at writing narrative and commentary. You’ll also need to be an effective communicator and people-person as you will be interacting with a wide variety of stakeholders including the investment team, board members, commercial lenders, and investors.
In return you’ll be part of a great team, get exposure to a wide range of business models, and have a real opportunity to create impact through your work. Essentially, we are seeking someone who is
inspired by our mission and shares our values, being sustainable, purposeful, inclusive, responsible, and enterprising.
As a small but growing company, we’ll need you to be resourceful and proactive, and able to adapt to our needs and processes as they develop to support our growth. We can support you with training but you will also need to be comfortable using your own initiative and working independently.
Background – who we are
Bristol & Bath Regional Capital is a leader in impact investment with a focus on the South West of England.
We invest in real estate, infrastructure and businesses to deliver attractive returns for investors and strong social, economic and environmental outcomes for local communities. Our local market insight and knowledge guides investment into valuable and impactful businesses and developments.
Having passed our start-up phase, we are now looking to consolidate our financial position, to scale up and build on the impact that we have already made. We are making strides in demonstrating that place-based impact investment can deliver meaningful solutions at scale and our team are committed to continuing to make a long lasting and significant impact to improve the lives of many in our region.
To-date, BBRC has raised £50m of impact investment into purposeful businesses, social enterprises, and impactful housing in the South West. Now that we’ve proven the model with our ground-breaking City Funds initiative, we’re looking to scale to over £300m in the next two years, comprised of a £50m green technology and infrastructure (Net Zero) fund and a £250m housing fund.
We aspire to be one of the best employers in the region; as well as competitive pay (and the potential to participate in a bonus scheme), we have a friendly and collaborative culture where our people can thrive. We work in informal offices with plenty of socialising opportunities and after-work events; we celebrate our successes and encourage creativity. More information about us can be found here
- Review monthly management accounts and prepare quarterly reporting.
- Assist the Finance Director with the preparation of the annual Business Plan and budget.
- Support the preparation of the year-end statutory accounts and liaise with the auditors.
- Cost centre and budget management.
- Monitor cash flow, including forecasting, and ensure adequate liquidity to meet the company’s financial obligations.
- Assist in the preparation of grant applications and reporting.
- Manage the purchase and debtor ledgers, including our loan book.
- Review and maintain internal controls and finance policies.
- Key point of contact for outsourced bookkeeping.
- Administer the company’s bank accounts and borrowing facilities.
- Investor reporting.
- Ensure that we are compliant with our banking and finance obligations.
- Manage insurance renewals.
- Hold responsibility for our filing requirements at Companies House
- Filing loan agreements and other documents
- Help the company maintain and manage its FCA-regulated status as the company scales.
Skills and Experience:
· 2+ years’ experience in a commercial environment, ideally within financial services
· Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA, or equivalent)
· Good management accounting / commercial accounting experience
· Able to write narrative, not just produce figures – a high level of proficiency in English is essential.
· Experience of producing cash flow forecasts or budgets.
· A high level of proficiency in Excel
· Familiarity with VAT regulations, and other indirect and direct taxes.
· Experience of using Fund Accounting or ERP solutions
You must have the right to work in the UK to be considered for this role. BBRC is unable to sponsor visas for this position.
Our commitment to inclusion
We believe our work is stronger with greater diversity and actively welcome applications from those who bring different experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives.
We are an equal opportunities employer with an inclusive work environment.
BBRC prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind, on any grounds. Please let us know if you have any access needs, we will seek to make reasonable adjustments at interview and in the work environment to accommodate these where possible. Our team has a mix of part-time and full-time staff, and we can consider flexible working for the right candidate.
Applications should be sent to: [email protected]
No agencies please