Join our impact investment team as our new Investment Manager leading on Net Zero solutions
Investment Manager – Impact – Bristol & Bath Regional Capital
Where: Central Bristol, minimum 2 days / week in the office
Role: Investment management, origination and execution, business development
Reporting to: Investment Director
Type of role: Permanent, full time
Bristol & Bath Regional Capital (BBRC), a leader in impact investment and asset management, is embarking on an exciting stage in its development. Having created and advised on our first place-based impact investment fund which has received national recognition, and been recognised by the NatWest SE100 index as one of the top 100 social enterprises nationally for the last three consecutive years, we have an ambitious plan to deliver long-term impact in the South West of England. We are now in the process of launching two new investment funds; to manage this, we expect to more than double the size of our team in the next twelve months.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Investment Manager to join our Impact investment team, leading the origination and execution of investments into businesses who are delivering net zero solutions. Reporting to the Investment Director, this is a crucial role, where you will be pivotal in the success of our fund strategy and in the development of the region’s net zero economy.
This is a unique position where you’ll get to play a part in a scale-up business with impact at its heart. You will be responsible for driving the fund’s investments, identifying opportunities, building relationships, formulating the structure of deals, and conducting due diligence on targets. Our relationships with local businesses, their impacts, and the communities they affect are key to our success, and so you will be expected to expand these by building your own networks within local businesses, partnerships, and industry groups.
You’ll be an experienced investment manager or business lending specialist with three to ten years’ experience in an origination and execution role, ideally in venture capital, private equity, or SME lending. You’ll have experience of direct investing, especially in growth and scale-up stage companies, identifying good opportunities for profitable investments.
Experience with a range of deal structures in equity, debt, and hybrid formats, is essential, with an eye to creating risk adjusted returns at a portfolio level. Ideally you will have managed investment exits as well as deployments against KPIs agreed with investors. You will enjoy building productive relationships with people from diverse social and business backgrounds, and be able to quickly and accurately identify the fundamentals of a variety of business models as they are presented, shaping them as necessary for investment.
You will understand asset backed investing, spot the value in IP and how to bridge the real world and desktop projections. You’ll be a versatile communicator, motivating a variety of audiences from sales to delivery, and completion to monitoring.
In this work, you’ll be supported by the other members of the Investment team, as well as the Finance and Operations team, which provides core services to BBRC’s funds.
In return you’ll be part of a great team, get exposure to a wide range of business models, and have a real opportunity to create impact through your work. Essentially, we are seeking someone who is inspired by our mission and shares our values, being sustainable, purposeful, inclusive, responsible, and enterprising.
As a small but growing company, we’ll need you to be resourceful and proactive, and able to adapt (and adapt to) our needs and processes as they develop to support our growth. You will need to be comfortable using your own initiative and working independently.
Background – who we are
Bristol & Bath Regional Capital is a leader in impact investment with a focus on the South West of England.
We invest in real estate, infrastructure, and businesses to deliver attractive returns for investors and strong social, economic, and environmental outcomes for local communities. Our local market insight and knowledge guides investment into valuable and impactful businesses and developments.
Having passed our start-up phase, we are now looking to consolidate our financial position, to scale up and build on the impact that we have already made. We are making strides in demonstrating that place-based impact investment can deliver meaningful solutions at scale and our team are committed to continuing to make a long lasting and significant impact to improve the lives of many in our region.
To-date, BBRC has raised £50m of impact investment into purposeful businesses, social enterprises, and impactful housing in the South West. Now that we’ve proven the model with our ground-breaking City Funds initiative, we’re looking to scale to over £300m in the next two years, comprised of a £50m green technology and infrastructure (Net Zero) fund and a £250m housing fund.
We aspire to be one of the best employers in the region; as well as competitive pay (and the potential to participate in a bonus scheme), we have a friendly and collaborative culture where our people can thrive. We work in informal offices with plenty of socialising opportunities and after-work events; we celebrate our successes and encourage creativity.
More information about us can be found here: www.bab-rc.uk
- Develop and execute a business development strategy to originate new investment opportunities in the region, with a focus on SMEs actively generating revenues from tested products, infrastructure, and services that accelerate the route to net zero carbon.
- Build deal pipelines and maintain relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders in the region, including business owners, industry associations, local accelerators enterprise hubs, co-investors, angel networks, regional local authorities, and other relevant organisations.
- Conduct due diligence on potential investments, analysing financial statements and business plans to evaluate investment opportunities.
- Package and present suitable investment opportunities to the fund’s investment committee, clearly communicating the investees’ business fundamentals, market context, key people, impact, any special features and its risks and returns.
- Lead on the negotiation and structuring of investment deals, including equity, debt, and hybrid instruments.
- Work with legal advisors to select the optimum structures and completion routes for investments.
- Monitor and report on the performance of investments in the portfolio, including financial, impact, and operational metrics, with team support.
- Work with portfolio companies to provide appropriate ongoing support and guidance, including strategic planning, financial management, and governance.
- While continuing to prioritise the target fund’s work, participate in the identification of additional opportunities for both the fund and for BBRC by using initiative and lateral thought, including contributing to the success of existing BBRC funds.
- Represent BBRC at industry events and conferences and contribute to thought leadership initiatives to promote the region as an attractive destination for investment.
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in finance, economics, business, or a related field.
- 3 – 10 years of experience in investment management, with a track record of successfully sourcing, evaluating, presenting, and managing investments, particularly in SMEs and growth stage businesses.
- Strong analytical skills and financial modelling capabilities including proficiency in MS Excel.
- Strong understanding of the regulatory framework for investing.
- Good track record in managing legals from template to completion (with legal support).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build and maintain relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Proven track record in seeking and gaining approvals from decision-making committees.
- Ability to maintain orderly, clear and auditable records of work, processes and decisions.
- Ability to work within a small but dedicated team with a growth agenda.
- Evidence of alignment with BBRC’s values: sustainable, purposeful, inclusive, responsible, and enterprising.
- Knowledge of the SME landscape in the West and South West of England, and familiarity with its investment ecosystem.
- Good understanding of impact investing and its role in the investment marketplace.
- A passion for supporting the growth of impactful businesses in the target region, and a commitment to ethical and responsible and/or ESG investing.
- A good understanding of how to measure the social impact of investments.
- Experience of working on products or investments that have the aim or effect of decreasing inequality and improving diversity and/or inclusion, or moving the UK to a low-carbon economy.
You must have the right to work in the UK to be considered for this role. BBRC is unable to sponsor visas for this position.
Our commitment to inclusion
We believe our work is stronger with greater diversity and actively welcome applications from those who bring different experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives.
We are an equal opportunities employer with an inclusive work environment.
BBRC prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind, on any grounds. Please let us know if you have any access needs, we will seek to make reasonable adjustments at interview and in the work environment to accommodate these where possible. Our team has a mix of part-time and full-time staff, and we can consider flexible working for the right candidate.